Monday, April 7, 2008

The First Step

I've slowly begun to speak my concerns about Dylan to family, and friends over the possibility of Autism, or a sensory issue.

I've been warring with myself for the past few months over his quirky habits, trying to reason with myself as to why he would do some of the things he's been doing. These oddities of his have won me over - and after speaking with a OL person who's experienced Autism with her own son... I decided to make the phone call to my local Early Childhood Intervention program.

They called me today, and asked me what has been going on with him. I explained, and she said she wants to meet him this week. So, Friday, the 11th, at 2:30pm is the first step.

I have a myriad of feelings right now. Relief, anxiety, calm, sadness.

But most importantly love.

The only thing I can't explain right now is the tears in my eyes, as the little guy sits in my lap with his blankets, arms wrapped around my chest, and head on my shoulder.

He's got a nice temple for kisses, and he smells like my son.

1 comment:

Lela said...

*tight hugs*

I know it's not exactly the same, but we're about to take my son for his first appointment with a psychiatrist. My deepest fear ever since I was diagnosed with BPD is that I've passed it on, and we're seeing signs that that is just what has happened.

I'll be praying for you and Dylan. You're a good mom for taking this step. It's a hard thing to acknowledge that something's really wrong and that it's time to face that fear.