Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A...B... Say it mama!

With Natalie turning 4, I've been worried about her letters.

She knows the ABC song by heart, and I'm pretty sure she can recognize a few of the letters.

It's whenever I work with her she just goes blank. "I don't know" or "Say it, Mama!" are her standard replies, or she'll guess letters. So, I've been determined to play letter games with her everyday for a few minutes, in hope she'll catch on.

We've also been giving her computer time at poissonrouge.com, and Starfall.com. They're really great learning sites, and she enjoys them.

I think she may have trouble performing under pressure, or she says "I don't know" just to get on my nerves, since she'll get some letters right and then we hit the same letter again, it's that standard response.

But lately, in the past 2 days, it's like a light went off. We're naming a lot of letters, and she's doing terrific! Natalie even said, "K is for kite!"

I bought her some flash cards for us to play with, also.

I'm not pressuring her to do anything. As soon as I see her attention start to waver I tell her I think we've had enough and she can go play with what she likes. I don't want her to feel like it's work, to learn.

We're getting some chapter books for her birthday, in hopes that she'll let me read to her. She was never one for that. She always wanted the book to pretend to read, or she'd get frustrated with me.

On a side note, my mother still has stuff from Easter she hasn't sent, that she says she'll send every week. Not to mention some of Roo's clothes that I bought when I was up in Ohio.

Mom will also be late for Natalie's birthday. I'm not surprised. She does this frequently, and quite frankly, it gets on my nerves. I think Dad will be late, also.

Just a card, grandparents. That's all. Let her know you are thinking of her.

No comments: