Monday, April 21, 2008

Dylan's Evaluation, Part 2.

Today the Intake lady and a Occupation Therapist came out to meet with Dylan again, and do something that involves 5 subtests, called the DAYC. It determines whether he is delayed or not, and how much, if any, he is delayed.

They begin by asking questions and interacting with him based on his age, and then "grade" him. It's all very confusing, so I'm trying to explain it the best I can.

This visit didn't go well, either.

He failed 4 of the 5 subtests, in which one he seems particularly far behind (Adaptive). He was 6mos or more behind in those 4, and he "passed" in Social-emotional. So on that note, they concluded we qualify for intervention.

Next week we do an RBI, which is where they interview me after I pay special attention to our routine day, and I give as much detail to them as possible. Then we begin discussing our strategies to help him.

It's all very frustrating, because I hear them hinting their concerns but they won't tell me what is up besides what he's "failing". The more I'm supposed to know, I feel like the more I don't know.

It sounds horrible, but I want a clear definition of what I'm dealing with. I think it's because if I hear a label, I can face it quicker. I hate the unknown. Especially because I keep getting told "He's delayed in so-and-so" without a reason WHY he is.

No comments: